21 September 2011

Down With Hallmark, Up With Pickled

Today I went to CVS to purchase a birthday card.  I hate picking cards out and usually go for the ones that are blank inside, but there were none to be found.  Not wanting to purchase one of the many “humorous” cards with half-naked people on the front or tiny bug-eyed Chihuahuas wishing “Feliz Cumpleanos,” I was left with few options.  

I don’t know at what point it happened, but I started searching through the floral cards with sappy messages; cards that said things like “You’re the most super person I know” and “Here’s wishing the most amazing person an even more amazing birthday.”   Puke.

I wondered how often a card like that is given to someone simply because there is nothing else available.  I often find myself giving cards to people I don't even like, so why would I want to get one that gushes about the receiver?  If I did buy a card like this, I would have to make sure my personal message was more truthful than whatever Hallmark had to say.





I was so fed up that I quit the card search after twenty minutes.  Lucky for you, this terrible experience has sparked a series of “post” cards that I have created; cards that can tell the receiver how you really feel, cards for fun, cards for occasions that you wish they made a card for.  Send the link to one to someone special. It may not sing when you open it, but it’s free.

Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment